About a week ago, The Falcoholic Live spent the evening diving into the upcoming training camp battles and big moments ahead, which are drawing tantalizingly close. This afternoon, we’ll throw the doors open for a discussion about those battles before they officially open in about a week.
What Falcons camp battle are you most looking forward to monitoring? The one you’re most interested in, I apologize for the initial headline.
You may of course throw a curveball and choose something not on the list, but to jog your memory we’re likely looking at:
- #2 receiver: Calvin Ridley is the top option in this passing game, period, and Russell Gage figures to be the second most frequently targeted receiver. Who is going to line up opposite Ridley in two receiver sets, though, and will Gage take on that role or just be a productive slot receiver when the offense uses one? Gage is competing with the likes of rookie Frank Darby, veteran Tajae Sharpe, and Olamide Zaccheaus for the role.
- Left guard: It’ll be between rookie Jalen Mayfield, veteran Josh Andrews, possibly center candidate Drew Dalman down the line, a host of undrafted and veteran depth options and maybe Matt Gono if he’s not going to miss time with his still-mysterious injury.
- Center: This appears to be between second-year pro Matt Hennessy and Dalman at the moment.
- Defensive line: Basically every starting job that isn’t Grady Jarrett’s is up for grabs, and with rotations it’s a question of who is getting a major role rather than necessarily a full-time one. Pick a position battle here.
- Cornerback: A.J. Terrell is the top option here, but the outside starting job opposite him is open for grabs and so is slot corner. You’ll have Isaiah Oliver, Kendall Sheffield, Fabian Moreau and rookie Darren Hall competing for those two slots, with Avery Williams potentially pushing his way into the nickel corner conversation.
- Safety: Duron Harmon, Erik Harris and rookie Richie Grant are fighting over two jobs, though Dean Pees will certainly find a use for all three and likely second year pro Jaylinn Hawkins as well.
- Punter: It’s Sterling Hofrichter versus Dom Maggio. Someone’s got to pick this one.
So sound off! What battle intrigues you the most?