Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game!
That’s obviously a quote from Jim Mora’s legendary rant about the improbability of his team reaching the postseason, but it also applies to how I feel about the Falcons at this point of the season, and particularly after Sunday’s loss to the San Francisco 49ers.
It’s OK with me if the Falcons miss the postseason, and honestly, I’d prefer it at this point. It’s fine if you disagree with me on that. I just see this offensive line struggling to fend off even the slightest bit of pressure, and I want Matt Ryan to survive to play another season. I also think 17 games will be about all of the Falcons football I want to see this season. Let’s just get through this year, figure out where we’re drafting, and hope for some growth and improvement this offseason.
So for today’s open thread, let’s talk about what our hopes and expectations are for the offseason. What would you like to see from the front office? What positions do they need to address, and how? What kind of improvements do you need to see from the coaching staff over the last few weeks of the season to feel confident about this team’s ability to be competitive next season?
On to the links.
- If you really want to relive Sunday’s loss to the Niners, you’re a brave soul. Dave has you covered.
- In honor of my dear friend and podcast cohost David Walker, I’ll just describe the latest postgame pod from DW and Evan as WELPPPPPPPPPP.
- What are the odds? Well, the Falcons are playing the Lions this week, who beat the red-hot Cardinals on Sunday and appear to be hitting their stride just in time to play the Falcons. Carter Breazeale covers the fact that Atlanta’s favored, but they’ve also won zero games at home this year, so we’ll see.
- The offensive line has been a problem all season, and the Falcons have been abysmal in the red zone. Coincidence? Will McFadden thinks not.
- Yes, it was a loss, but at least some guys played well enough for MVP of the game consideration! DW breaks that down here.
- Can we just talk for a moment about that Russell Gage catch? You know, the one where he absolutely Moss’d the defender? Congrats to Gage, because Adnan Ikic named him the fantasy stud of the game.
NFC South news:
- Lol, the Bucs got shut out: Bucs Nation
- The bad news — the Bucs got shut out by the Saints: Canal Street Chronicles
- But don’t worry, the Panthers lost: Cat Scratch Reader
Other Falcons links:
- Russell Gage shines in rough day for Falcons offense - Kris Rhim, AtlantaFalcons.com
- Breaking down the Falcons “sour” loss to San Francisco 49ers: Inside Tori’s Notebook - Tori McElheney, AtlantaFalcons.com
- One stunning statistic at the root of the Falcons’ offensive struggles - Josh Kendall, The Athletic
Case against veteran free agent linebacker Barkevious Mingo dismissed - Michael Rothstein, ESPN
Thanks for reading, and weigh in with your thoughts on what the ideal Falcons offseason would look like in the comments.