clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Were the 2010s a success for the Atlanta Falcons?

New, comments

Falcoholic readers weighed in via SB Nation’s NFL FanPulse survey.

NFL: JAN 22 NFC Championship - Packers at Falcons Photo by Todd Kirkland/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

The 2010s are in the rearview, and it’s been a wild ride in Atlanta. But has it been the best decade in Falcons football?

We experienced highs, like a trip to the Super Bowl following the 2016 season. We experienced lows, like ... well, the actual Super Bowl. We asked readers via SB Nation’s NFL FanPulse survey if the last decade has been a success for Atlanta, and a majority of readers said yes.

The Falcons finished the decade with a regular-season record of 89-71. They made the playoffs in five seasons, landing in the Super Bowl once for just the second time in the team’s history. We all know how that went, but it doesn’t change the fact that it was a solid decade for Atlanta.

That hasn’t boosted fans’ confidence in the team going forward. Perhaps it’s the inauspicious 7-9 record this season coupled with the team’s decision to retain Dan Quinn and Thomas Dimitroff, but only 21 percent of Falcons fans are confident in the direction of the team right now.

We had some other questions for Falcons fans as the decade came to a close. Weigh in with your thoughts in the comments.

Who was your favorite defensive player of the last decade?

With marquee players like Julio Jones and Matt Ryan, it’s easier to single out the top guys on that side of the ball. Defense is a little more wide open.

We asked readers who their favorite defensive player of the last decade was, and Grady Jarrett and John Abraham were tied at the top.

Best defensive player of the last decade

Player Percentage of votes
Player Percentage of votes
Grady Jarrett 34%
John Abraham 34%
Deion Jones 13%
William Moore 7%
Sean Weatherspoon 4%
Other 4%
Keanu Neal 2%
Corey Peters 2%

Will the Falcons win a Super Bowl in the 2020s?

Hope springs eternal for Falcons fans, who believe the team will put 28-3 behind them and win a Super Bowl in this decade.

Well, not all Falcons fans. 74 percent are optimistic about bringing a Lombardi Trophy to Atlanta. The other 26 percent don’t see it happening.

Which player do you wish had panned out in the 2010s?

The last decade had its share of busts, and while it would be nice if all of them had panned out, there’s one player fans honed in on for an overall underwhelming performance.

Which player do you wish had panned out?

Player Percentage of votes
Player Percentage of votes
Vic Beasley Jr. 77%
Peria Jerry 12%
Peter Konz 4%
Lamar Holmes 4%
Other 3%

Beasley was the NFL’s sack leader during the 2016 season, but otherwise hasn’t quite put it all together. He did have a resurgent season in 2019, finishing the year with eight sacks. It’s a contract year for Beasley, so we’ll see what his future holds this offseason.

Which team will dominate the NFC South in the next decade?

Not surprisingly, Falcons fans think it will be the Falcons.

Which team will dominate the division in the 2020s?

Team Percentage of votes
Team Percentage of votes
Atlanta Falcons 80%
New Orleans Saints 18%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2%
Carolina Panthers 0%

Happy New Year, and here’s hoping the majority of Falcons fans are right about that one.