Forbes’ list of the world’s highest paid athletes for 2018 has an interesting name on it, Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan. Ryan was listed as the 9th highest paid athlete, earning $62.5 million through his salary/winnings and $5 million coming in through endorsements.
Matt Ryan was also the highest NFL player on the list, but he was joined by another in the top 10. Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford, a well-known buddy of Matt Ryan and a man often compared to #2, was listed in the 10th spot, due to his $57.5 million salary/winnings and $2 million through endorsements.
The Top-10 List of Forbes’ World’s Highest-Paid Athletes in 2018 (Combined total):
1. Floyd Mayweather (Boxing) – $285 million
2. Lionel Messi (Soccer) – $111 million
3. Cristiano Ronaldo (Soccer) – $108 million
4. Conor McGregor (MMA) – $99 million
5. Neymar (Soccer) – $90 million
6. LeBron James (NBA) – $85.5 million
7. Roger Federer (Tennis) – $77.2 million
8. Stephen Curry (NBA) – $76.9 million
9. Matt Ryan (NFL) – $67.3 million
10. Matthew Stafford (NFL) – $59.5 million
Things change fast in the NFL, and Ryan may or may not be here a year from now. His contract is currently the largest in terms of total value fully guaranteed money in the league, but is the fourth-largest in annual average with new deals for Jameis Winston, Phillip Rivers, and others looming.
You can view Forbes’ full top-100 list by clicking here.