Now that the Falcons have reduced their roster to 52 players, General Manager Thomas Dimitroff and head coach Dan Quinn held a press conference to address the moves and to speak about what to look for from the team in the days and weeks ahead. Here are some highlights from the presser:
- The practice squad will be nailed down in the next 24 hours or so, but they will continue to watch the waiver wire.
- Quinn emphasized they can and probably will still make moves to reshape the roster not only through this week, but through the first few weeks of the season.
- Special teams ability helped guys like Richard Jarvis make the 53-man roster.
- Quinn and Dimitroff emphasized they are continually looking 2 to 3 years out, thinking of who they can develop now to be ready to take over in the future.
- Scouting staff is working tirelessly on guys who may be cut by other teams that could be a good fit with the Falcons. Coordination with the coaching staff is always ongoing.
- The open spot on the 53-man roster is flexible. There’s not one particular position they are currently honing in on.
- Quinn emphasized that guys like Keanu Neal, Deion Jones and Jake Matthews all had fantastic offseasons.
- Matt Gono is a guy they think can be a swing tackle. Still very raw but has traits to build on. He stayed during the summer to get as much of an edge as possible.
Thomas Dimitroff and Dan Quinn seemed to emphasize that the roster is still in flux somewhat. The idea they could still reshape the 53-man roster through the first few weeks of the season was intriguing. They also did not shy away from the idea that they are intentionally developing guys for the long-term in the hopes of avoiding having to spend big on every single position in the future. The business-minded approach to development really came through strongly.
Never under sell how important special teams ability really is. Several guys made the roster based almost solely on their ability to contribute on teams. While the team is focused on developing guys, they also need a group of guys they can rely on from day one.
For a more extensive breakdown, check out my thread on twitter: