After hearing the back and forth of fans this week over whether or not the Matt Ryan contract will permanently handicap the ability to sign other players, I decided it was time to take a look at the real numbers to see if the team will be able to keep most of their talented core around.
The reality - as is often the case - is somewhere in-between. Ryan’s deal will make it harder to keep guys here, but there’s no reason they can’t maintain a large portion of their current roster.
Here’s some of what’s covered in this quickpod:
- How the cap hits this year could get both Jake Matthews and Grady Jarrett inked to long-term deals
- Why Ricardo Allen is the big wild card for this year and whether he’ll be signed for the long-term
- The tough slate of deals coming in 2019, with Deion Jones, Vic Beasley, Austin Hooper and De’Vondre Campbell all looking for potential deals in their final year under contract
- Names I think may walk and those I think the Falcons will retain
- What this ultimately means for the Falcons organization and why they really need to continue to hit on their draft classes going forward.
As always, you can listen below or you can download the podcast on any of your favorite platforms.
As always, you can find The Falcoholic Podcast on iTunes, the Google Play store and Stitcher. You can find an RSS feed here.