The Falcons had a must-win game on Monday night against the Giants and they got one. Now they’ve got the bye to rest up and figure out how they can keep rolling through the rest of the season and lock up a playoff spot.
That’s easier said than done, especially with the 2018 Falcons, who we will refer to heretofore as the “Hurty Birds.” Even Monday’s win couldn’t pass without yet another starter heading to injured reserve. After losing Keanu Neal, Deion Jones, Andy Levitre, Ricardo Allen, and Devonta Freeman, Brandon Fusco joined this banged-up crew with a broken ankle that ended his season.
Still, the win made it look like the postseason might not be entirely out of reach. A 3-4 record feels a whole lot better than 2-5 would, and with that addition to the win column, a little bit of optimism is threatening to creep back in.
The ‘Jeanna’s Mailbag’ segment on this week’s Thursday Night Kickoff will explore the three key things the Falcons need to do to keep rolling and lock up a spot in the playoffs. Here’s the segment.
If you’re looking for serious answers, like “win the rest of their division games, don’t lose more than two games on the rest of the schedule, and never let Jordan Richards set foot on a football field again,” well, you won’t find those here. This is more the tone you can expect, so if you’re the kind of person who prefers analysis to shenanigans, you can just sit this one out. It’s not mandatory.
1. Provide the fanbase with free heart health checks so we can still be alive during this roller coaster season— Joey Buckets ✝️ (@True2Atlanta) October 23, 2018
2. Watch epic movie speeches before every game ( brave heart, any given Sunday, Wolf on Wall Street)
3. Score more points than the other team.
You can watch Thursday Night Kickoff on FOX 5 Atlanta starting at 7 p.m. every Thursday. Here are some of the tweets we didn’t share on the air.
1) Average about 20 Points per game on defense rest of season.— Slim_Gator (@southlyfe_gold) October 23, 2018
2) have Matt micd up every game (don't bleep out the dirty word's)
3) Never punt unless it's a 65 yard field goal or longer.
1.) Sacrifice Jordan Richards— Sarah Woodall (@Woodall8Sarah) October 23, 2018
2.) Get healthy
3.) Eliminate pre-snap penalties in our own freaking building
1. keep— Brent Lancaster (@lannyosu) October 23, 2018
#1 Tell Justin Tucker pick a better time to miss your first XP like against the Falcons— Don Emery (@thedondo1) October 23, 2018
#2 Tell the Browns if you want keep playing OT bring stickum next time
#3 Tell the iggles there's 4 quarters in a game. 4.
I trust you enjoyed being in the crowd at the game for a change
cut Richards, play a game with the Falcon statue on the 50, and call Gruden about trading Giorgio to the Raiders for their 3 1st round picks.— Ben Bullock (@benbullock_) October 23, 2018
1. Trade Freeman for Patrick Peterson— Mike McAndrew (@McAndrew05) October 23, 2018
2. Tie Robert Alfords hands behind his back
3. Move Freddy Falcon up to the defensive squad
1) Keep Gio when Bryant is healthy to keep opponents on their toes lol— Jordan Coker (@jcoker33) October 23, 2018
2) Just go for it on 4th down from the 50 onward
3) Wear the black jerseys every week
4) BONUS: Leave the MBS roof open forever
1. Score more points than the other team— Chris Kurtz (@chriskurtzz) October 23, 2018
2. Win more games
3. Sign more Italians
1. Kick 50+ yard Field Goals with less than 2 minutes— Johññy Heñdo (@JohnnyHendo) October 23, 2018
2. Can we cure leg injuries?
3. Don’t wake Matt Ryan up
1) Always let the kickers win it.— Michael Moore (@MikeDrop_) October 23, 2018
2) Keep Matt Ryan angry
3) Hire miracle doctors
1. Call up God and have him use his healing powers to get the defense healthy— Michael Covil (@mcovil_73) October 23, 2018
2. Replace the turnstiles in front of Matt Ryan with actual offensive linemen
3. Keep throwing to Calvin Ridley
1) Play the Giants— MsDee (@femaleatlhawk) October 23, 2018
2) Play NY
3) Play against Manning#Falcons WILL make the playoffs