The Atlanta Falcons have a respectable defensive line. In fact, according to some experts, the Falcons front seven could be one of the scariest in the league next season. It’s a good problem to have, and we’re not used to having it, but it definitely puts veteran pass rusher Dwight Freeney in an awkward position.
Freeney was noncommittal following the Super Bowl. It wasn’t clear whether he’d retire or whether the Falcons would try to bring him back on another one year, team-friendly deal. But now we have the answer to that question. According to Vaughn McClure, Dan Quinn and Freeney have talked about it coming back. And for now, the Falcons aren’t willing to make him a firm offer.
"He wants to play," Quinn said on Wednesday of the 37-year-old. "I’d say he’s further along in the decision than he was last year." [He] stopped well short of saying the Falcons intend to re-sign Freeney at this time. Quinn relayed the same message to Freeney that he echoed through the media after Freeney went on SiriusXM NFL radio and said he was in discussions with the Falcons about a return [...] Quinn wants to develop his current group of pass-rushers, led by reigning NFL sack champion Vic Beasley Jr.
Basically they’re only willing to keep him on speed dial for the moment. There’s nothing inherently wrong with that approach. The Falcons do have a couple question marks with Takkarist McKinley rehabbing and Derrick Shelby coming back from injury. Plus [knocks on wood] things happen during training camp and the preseason. Freeney might be the most solid Plan B in Plan B history.