Today was the sixth day of Falcons training camp, and the offense seems to be working out some of the issues that have led to inconsistencies over the past several days, which is encouraging.
The defense continues to look solid, and the young players continue to come along. Here are the highlights from both sides of the ball and a few notes from today.
- There were no offensive turnovers today! Ryan’s timing, and the receivers’ timing, looked much better today.
- Devin Fuller may be coming along a bit more slowly after being hindered this spring with a hamstring injury, but you see him demonstrating a better understanding of the routes and the offense on a day to day basis. The key for Fuller to lock up a roster spot is, of course, the return game.
- He hasn’t gotten as much attention as his rookie tight end counterpart, Austin Hooper, but Jacob Tamme is quietly having a very nice training camp. Ryan hit him with a couple of targets today and he looked quite effective.
- Gus Johnson got some more opportunities today with Tevin Coleman out with a foot injury, and he flashed a bit. He’s a tough, physical runner who fights hard for yards.
- Brooks Reed almost killed a guy.
- Kemal Ishmael is a seasoned veteran at this point, and he provides quality depth at the safety position. He’s working hard in camp and looks good, attacking the ball on every play.
- Dwight Freeney arrives tomorrow. We’re not sure at this point what that means in terms of whether he’ll be on the field for practice or what, but he will be with the team beginning tomorrow, so we’ll have updates on that in the evening.
- Tevin Coleman was held out today to rehab a foot injury that Dan Quinn said is minor. He thought Tevin would be able to incorporate back into practice tomorrow at least on a limited basis.
- Julio Jones seems to be fully past whatever tweak was ailing him.
- Make plans to attend the team’s annual Friday Night Lights event at Grayson High School in Loganville, Ga., at 7:00 p.m. Friday night.
- Also make plans to tune into our Facebook page for our weekly Facebook Live mailbag tomorrow night at 8:30 p.m. You can ask any questions that you have in the comments of the video. We’ll post it on the site later for those of you who don’t have Facebook or are unavailable.
- Keep an eye out for some fun content from me and DW live from training camp in Flowery Branch on Sunday.
- Wow, there were a lot of notes today.