We’re nearly there, and the Falcons will be winnowing down a roster close to 90 players down to 53 before all is said and done. Let’s take a closer look at the story lines worth watching in training camp, which is just 10 days away.
- Will Devin Hester return healthy and wind up as the team’s returner in 2016?
- Will Deion Jones beat out Paul Worrilow for the starting gig at middle linebacker? Worrilow has been the full-time starter the last three seasons.
- Will De’Vondre Campbell surprise a lot of people and win the starting job on the weak side over the likes of Sean Weatherspoon, Philip Wheeler, and the immortal Tyler Starr?
- Will Akeem King run with a great opportunity and push for a larger role, even after Jalen Collins returns?
- Who is the fourth wide receiver? Nick Williams, Aldrick Robinson, Eric Weems, Hester, and a large cast of UDFAs will be competing.
- Is Matt Schaub the shoo-in at backup quarterback that many of assume he is, or will he be beaten out by Sean Renfree, Matt Simms, or UDFA Alex Ross?
- Who is the starting right guard? Chris Chester, Mike Person, Wes Schweitzer and a few others will be competing.
- Will the Falcons land a veteran pass rusher or cornerback, perhaps Dwight Freeney, between now and the start of the season?
- Where is Brooks Reed going to play, and will he be a full-time starter or a situational player after an uneven 2015?
- How will everyone adjust to Kyle Shanahan’s scheme in the second year, after a divisive first year where Matt Ryan openly admitted he struggled to adapt?
Nominate your favorite story lines in the comments.