Good morning, friends. Welcome to free agency day.
We're going run through the Falcons' needs quickly before free agency starts, so we can figure out where they might prioritize. In my mind, their top five needs are all either in the defense or along the offensive line, followed closely by that glaring hole at wide receiver, where there's not an inspiring #2 option on the roster. The Falcons have to upgrade linebacker, pass rusher, and safety on the defensive side of the ball to lift that unit up, while on the offensive side they still have a mishmash of mediocre options on the interior of the line. Fix those and you're at least straddling competence heading into the draft.
Top Team Needs
- Linebacker (Danny Trevathan, James Laurinaitis)
- Pass rusher/defensive end (Olivier Vernon, Robert Ayers)
- Safety (George Iloka, Reggie Nelson, Roman Harper)
- Center (Alex Mack)
- Guard (J.R. Sweezy, Brandon Brooks)
- Wide receiver (Mohamed Sanu, Jermaine Kearse)
- Defensive tackle (Probably a draft pick, you guys)
- Tight end (Jared Cook, Ladarius Green)
- Cornerback (Walter Thurmond III, Tall Rangy CB Prototype)
- Backup quarterback (Matt Schaub)