clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Chiefs vs. Falcons final score: Atlanta falls to Kansas City 28-29

It was not the Falcons’ best effort of the season.

NFL: Kansas City Chiefs at Atlanta Falcons Jason Getz-USA TODAY Sports

The Atlanta Falcons welcomed the Kansas City Chiefs to the Georgia Dome and it was not the Falcons’ best showing. They had some struggles in all three phases of the game en route to the 28-29 loss.

Starting left tackle Jake Matthews left the game with a knee injury late in the second quarter and did not return. That didn’t help. Mohamed Sanu and Julio Jones both ended up dinged as well.

First quarter:

Atlanta came out swinging on its first possession, capping off an 81-yard drive with a Devonta Freeman touchdown.

Unfortunately, the Chiefs answered right away, but Ra’Shede Hageman blocked the PAT attempt, letting the Falcons preserve a one-point lead.

The Falcons scored on their next possession, too, but Kansas City held them to a field goal, giving Atlanta a 10-6 lead. Atlanta’s defense stepped up big on the next possession, with Vic Beasley sacking Alex Smith and forcing a fumble and Grady Jarrett recovering, giving the Falcons the ball back on their own 43-yard line.

Second quarter:

Atlanta opened the second quarter with another field goal, and settling for field goals early would prove to be costly for the Falcons as the game progressed. The defense then completely blew coverage on a 3-yard Spencer Ware touchdown, and Kansas City tied the game up 13-13.

Then Matt Ryan threw a pick six to Chiefs safety Eric Berry, giving Kansas City a 20-13 lead. The Falcons were able to narrow the Chiefs’ lead to 20-16 heading into the half after a 59-yard Matt Bryant field goal, which tied for the longest in franchise history.

Third quarter:

The third quarter was a little rocky for the Falcons. It brought back memories of the Mike Smith years, when we all dreaded the third quarter. Atlanta has actually been pretty good in third quarters this season, but this game was an exception.

The Falcons’ punt coverage unit allowed a fake punt that Albert Wilson took 55 yards for a touchdown to start the second half, which was less than ideal. Then on Atlanta’s ensuing possession, the Falcons failed to convert a fourth-and-1 on the Kansas City 10-yard line, so they trailed 27-16.

As the fourth quarter approached, though, Atlanta’s offense started clicking again. A couple of deep balls to Julio Jones got the Falcons into Kansas City territory as the third quarter ended.

Fourth quarter:

Things began to look up for the Falcons as they added six points shortly after the fourth quarter began on a Devonta Freeman run. The two point conversion attempt, which would have narrowed the Kansas City lead to three points, failed, and the Falcons trailed 27-22.

The Falcons then put themselves in a position to establilsh a lead, scoring on a Matt Ryan pass to Aldrick Robinson. They went for two to extend the lead to three points, but instead, Eric Berry picked off Matt Ryan once more and returned it to the end zone for two points. The Chiefs took a 29-28 lead that they would not surrender, and the Falcons fall to 7-5.