We're back for the annual Friday Night Lights, which pits the teammates against one another in a damn fun scrimmage.
The team is making steady progress toward the first preseason game, and thus far things have gone decently across the board. We're still waiting for that update on Pat Angerer and Peria Jerry is gone, of course, but we're already getting a little clarity in terms of how some of the position battles will go, particularly on the defensive line and at running back. This game won't necessarily illuminate any of that further, but it will give us a glimpse at these players in something approximating an actual game.
Debuting a new feature of the live blog today, where I'll list a few points from yesterday's camp that you might have missed. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy bulleting it.
Enjoy the scrimmage, everyone!
- Dezmen Southward was on the sidelines yesterday during practice, while Pat Angerer missed practice. Peria Jerry was also not practicing, mostly because he retired.
- Joplo Bartu and Paul Worrilow continue to run as the first team linebackers, but Prince Shembo keeps drawing kindly words from the coaching staff.
- After a couple of shaky days, the offensive line appeared to be finding its footing. Peter Konz and Sam Baker stood out, according to reporters, showing well in pass protection drills. Jake Matthews dismissed Stansly Maponga. Terren Jones, unfortunately, continues to falter, along with Mike Johnson.
- Devonta Freeman continues to look like a future feature back for the Falcons, which is fantastic.
- It was cold out there yesterday. A salute to Jeanna Thomas, who is a trooper.