In a game that almost every expert predicted the Falcons to win, Atlanta couldn't find the right answers once again as it fell to 1-4, losing 30-28 to the New York Jets. The 2013 season has not been kind to this franchise.
Atlanta trailed early, and despite ANOTHER late-game rally, none of it mattered for the millionth time. Nick Folk hit a game-winning 43-yard field goal as time expired. That's all she wrote, whoever she is, and she is a jerk because she keeps writing negative things about the Falcons.
It wouldn't be a Falcons game without a roller coaster of emotion. The first half ended with the Dome crowd booing, and Twitter nearly gave up altogether on Atlanta (myself included). But halftime adjustments were made, and the Falcons fought back.
The defense is just not good enough to win often this season. Constant holes in the secondary, little pressure on opposing quarterbacks. Osi Umenyiora finished with two sacks. Corey Peters and Joplo Bartu also brought down Smith, but the rookie passer stood back in the pocket with plenty of time to throw on multiple occasions.
Red zone issues continue. How do you not score on the 1-yard line with this offense? The offensive line needs a complete revamping. What else is new?
- The game started exactly how everyone pictured it would. Matt Ryan nearly threw a pick, Matt Bosher's punt was blocked and the Jets took a 3-0 lead with 5:51 to play in the first. Quite an auspicious start for Atlanta.
- Ryan found Jason Snelling for a 4-yard touchdown on a quick shovel pass. Hopefully Dirk Koetter saved that play for future use.
- Jeff Cumberland scored a 20-yard touchdown down the seam. Jeremy Kerley added a 16-yard score to make it a 17-7 game with 7:29 to play in the second quarter.
- The Falcons opted for go for it with goal-to-go at the end of the first half.
A pass interference call The most ridiculous pass interference you'll ever see resulted in Tony Gonzalez being dragged to the ground. From one yard out, Mike Smith chose to run a dive with Jacquizz Rodgers. It failed. Another week of "Should he have gone for it?"
- One bright spot from the first half?
- Quizz rushed for a 4-yard touchdown, making a nice cut to bounce left and find the hole to the end zone. 17-14 Jets.
- Tony Gonzalez is clutch no matter what.
- After a field goal, Kellen Winslow caught a 1-yard touchdown pass while tip-toeing the edge of the end zone, and Jon Gruden said Spider 2 Y Banana!! The Falcons came back with a 19-yard scoring run from Quizz, making it a 27-21 game.
- On the following drive for the Jets, the Falcons veteran pass rusher came up with another sack.
Osi sack # 2.— Matt Chernoff (@RealMattlanta) October 8, 2013
- Meanwhile, Todd McClure wasn't enjoying the Jets' visit to Atlanta.
akjalknfa I would love to put Rex ryan in a head lock and fart in his mouth— Todd Mcclure (@ToddMcclure62) October 8, 2013
- After the defense stepped up, the Falcons drove down the field to get in scoring position again. Then Julio Jones did this:
- On fourth-and-3 at the Jets 7-yard line, Ryan threw an incompletion, but a penalty gave him a new set of downs. He made the most of it, hitting Levine Toilolo for a 3-yard score and a 28-27 lead with two minutes to play.
- Smith marched the Jets downfield in their two-minute offense. Folk connected on the 43-yarder, and the game was over.
It was over when...
Time expired, really. The ballgame was up in the air for the majority of regulation.
Jacquizz Rodgers played one hell of a game, if it's possible to have yet another losing MVP.
1-4 PARTY ON ATLANTA