Hey all! Long time no see! If you are planning to make the trip to Gainesville for the Falcons Friday Night Lights then you won't be alone! I've lived in Gainesville all my life and graduated from Gainesville High School (Go Big Red!) so I'm very familiar with Bobby Gruhn Field (AKA City Park), so I thought I'd like to share some hopefully helpful tips with the Falcoholic community to make their visit as pleasurable as possible.
1. Do not try to go to Gainesville High School!!!
- I know the majority of high schools, especially newer schools, have the stadium located at the school, but GHS is not your typical school and in fact, Bobby Gruhn Field is about 5 or so miles away (and this is if you know the short cut), so do not look up directions for GHS, you will be wasting time. I suggest you look up the Gainesville Civic Center or Long Street Cafe to take you to City Park.
2. Get there early!
- I highly suggest that you get to the field a couple of hours early, why? Well, Bobby Gruhn field isn't really known for it's parking, in fact, it's pretty dang hard to find any kind of parking. I suggest the Long Street Cafe (where they have a sizable parking lot to the side) or the Civic Center for parking, both spots will most likely be filled up by locals relatively quickly, plus there are a couple of places where you can get a bite to eat while you wait. I suggest Mellow Mushroom on Green Street (can't really miss it) as well as Little Italy (which is right by the stadium), but there are other choices as well.
3. Bring lawn chairs.
- Depending on how quickly it fills up, you're gonna need some lawn chairs, both end zones have plenty of spots to plop down and give you a good view of the events as both end zones give way to sloping hills.
4. Have fun!
- I'm extremely excited about this year's Friday Night Lights being in my hometown and I hope that all who go have a great time! Feel free to come up and say hey to me if you see me, I'll probably be sitting on the hill by the end zone (I have a rather large tattoo of the Chi Rho on my forearm if that helps lol) so come on up and say hey and talk about how the practice is going.
I hope this helps y'all!