Falcons New Stadium Deal Reached

Scott Cunningham

Fact: the Georgia Dome and the Harlem Shake have one thing in common - their days are numbered

There's been a lot of conjecture about this topic over the past several months. They've talking about building a stadium downtown. They've talked about revamping the Georgia Dome. They've talked moving to the burbs. But now it's officially official.

Atlanta's mayor and Falcons owner Arthur Blank have agreed to financing terms for a new $1 billion, retractable-roof stadium to replace the 20-year-old Georgia Dome and keep the team's home games in the city's downtown, the two men said Thursday.

Basically Atlanta will cover 20 percent of the projected cost. The Falcons will cover the remaining 80 percent as well as any money spent over budget. The stadium will be built in downtown Atlanta, just south of the Dome. When construction finishes, they will demolish the Dome. It will be a retractable roof stadium.

I'm a huge fan of getting this deal done. There are still some specifics to sort out, but the broad strokes of the deal are worked out. This really shows a commitment to the city and, in particular, the downtown portion of the city. Most of you are Georgia natives, and most of you have attended Falcons games at the Dome. Let's be honest, the area surrounding the dome isn't exactly thriving. Ideally, this new stadium can change that in some respects. And it should help avoid blackouts for a while.

Thoughts?

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join The Falcoholic

You must be a member of The Falcoholic to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at The Falcoholic. You should read them.

Join The Falcoholic

You must be a member of The Falcoholic to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at The Falcoholic. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9341_tracker