After a productive weekend, the Falcons are one day shy of the opening of free agency. They're working hard to bring back Tony Gonzalez, they've re-upped with William Moore and Garrett Reynolds and they're probably deep in contract talks with a half dozen other players.
I thought this was a perfect time to review the outstanding needs on the roster. Let's run down the list, in no particular order:
- Running back. Whether it's Steven Jackson, another free agent or a draft pick, the Falcons need to add one more option to the platoon with Jacquizz Rodgers and Jason Snelling.
- Tight end. Tony Gonzalez sounds likelier and likelier to return, but that doesn't mean a young option isn't desirable. The Falcons could use someone dynamic as a second option and someone to take the reins in 2014 and beyond.
- Defensive end. The Falcons are now working with Cliff Matthews, Kroy Biermann and Jonathon Massaquoi at the position. There's an urgent need to add talent and bodies to the position.
- Linebacker. They may stick with their three starters, but the depth here is borderline putrid. Again, they need to add talent and bodies.
- Cornerback. With Brent Grimesan unknown, the Falcons only have Asante Samuel, Robert McClain and Dominique Franks signed right now. Talent and bodies. I feel like I'm repeating myself.
What moves do you think we'll see the next two days?