Stephen Dunn - Getty Images
How things have changed since the last time the Falcons got off to a scorching start.
Ah, yes, 2004. A good year. I seem to recall that when the Falcons were 3-0 back then, the following facts were true:
- The Falcons' starting quarterback was Michael Vick, their running back was Warrick Dunn, and their starting wideouts at the beginning of the season were Peerless Price and Dez White.
- The infamous Jim Mora Jr. was their coach.
- The Falcons would eventually go on to an 11-5 record and make it all the way to the NFC Championship, losing to the hated Philadelphia Eagles.
- I was 20 years old and a sophomore in college. The Falcoholic was only a glimmer in my eye.
- Hurricane Ivan was rolling through Alabama.
- Lost aired its pilot.
- Major League Baseball was about to move the Montreal Expos to Washington
- Hamid Karzai steps in as the leader of Afghanistan
- The Red Sox win their first world series in many, many years.
- George W. Bush is re-elected President.
- Rodney Dangerfield dies.
I know the Cardinals have a longer streak here that they just broke, but eight years is a while to wait. I really think we're seeing something special from these Falcons, something that could very well be more impressive than 2004. But there's a lot of foot
Remember 2004 with me, and then let's start talking Panthers.