I'm glad I'm not Thomas Dimitroff, because decisions of this magnitude are never easy. Granted, the decision won't be made in the near future. I think. Odds are we have time. But sooner or later, they will have to decide.
There's no debating that Optimus is a talented player. The kid has skills. He was doubted at every level. Yet he's proven himself time and time again. The man deserves a fat paycheck. The best cover corner in our much-improved secondary, he deserves what's coming to him.
Join me after the jump and we'll break this down.
Here are the irrefutable facts:
- Dunta Robinson and Asante Samuel represent a combined 14.15 million dollar cap hit in 2013
- The Falcons will likely look to re-sign William Moore, Chris Owens, and Lawrence Sidbury in 2013 (all are free agents) - and that probably won't cost too much
- Grimes will be 30 when the 2013 season starts - and he wants a long-term contract
Here are some possible scenarios:
- Our pass rush improves dramatically - and not just because we have one of the better corner back corps in football
- The Falcons invest like whoa in John Abraham's replacement between now and the beginning of the 2013 season
- Chris Owens and/or Dominique Franks progress in impressive fashion in 2012
- The Falcons look to replace both Tony Gonzalez and Michael Turner before the 2013 season begins - and nabbing those replacements doesn't come cheap
If I had my way, we'd resign him. But that only happens if the figurative cards fall right.
To be honest, they may surprise us all. They may resign him mid-season. They may not. One thing is for sure. His fate is unknown at this point. And you shouldn't bank on him being a Falcon for life. There are just too many unknowns. Too many possibilities.