Another day another draft from me. I have been thinking about my drafts and this is my favorite one by far. So here we go.
1. Justin Houston/DE/UGA: I was a big fan of trading back but if he is here I would happily take him. Great kid with underrated leadership. Reminds me of Demarcus Ware. Relentless and has a quick first step. Also can play in coverage which should help since BVG insist on dropping DE's in coverage. Also provides some versatility.
2. Bruce Carter/OLB/UNC: Really wanted to take Curtis Brown here but the OLB crop isnt as deep as the CB crop. Carter is a hard hitting LB with great speed and instincts. Completes our LB group and makes it instantly one of the best in the NFC. Also i good in coverage.
3. Marcus Gilbert/OT/Fla.: A very athletic OL with great technique. Has alot of upside but is a RT only. If we move Sam Baker to RT Barksdale could also be the pick right here.
4. Buster Skrine/CB/UT-Chatt.: Sleeper. Usually not a fan of drafting smaller CBs(which is TD's MO) but this guy is the exception. Very quick CB with tremendous ball skills. Had the fastest 40 at the combine. He also can contribute on special team and is a sure tackler. Could compete with Franks for the nickel spot right away.
5. Cedric Thornton/DT/Sou. Ark.: One of my favorite players in the draft. A athletic DT who can rush the passer. Was a 1st team All American and All GSC in 2010. Led the nation in TFL in 2009.
6.Tori Gurley/WR/USC: Hold your horses no I do not have us drafting 3 WRs this yr. He will convert to TE.Good route runner and has great hands. Didnt drop 1 pass last yr which is saying something since he played in the SEC. Shoud benefit alot from learning from Gonzo.
7.Stephen Burton/WR/West Tex A&M: Sleeper. Has great size(6-1,224) and will be our slot WR. I know a 224lb slot WR? He ran a 4.38 40 at his pro day and had a 10 yard split of 1.46 sec. Great hands and is willing to catch over the middle.
7. Vidal Hazelton/WR/Cin.: I like to thank you guys for putting me on to him. Great hands and good speed. Very tough WR with crisp route running. A steal at this point in the draft. Has been compared to T.O. but without all the bs.
7. Graig Cooper/RB/Mia.(Fla.): Look another steal. Has had injuries in the past(which worries me becuase of Norwood) but he is dynamic to say the least. Very quick RB with amazing agility and vision. Also is great a PR/KR.
Davonte Shannon/SS/Buf. Could switch him with Cooper for the last pick but really doesnt matter. Hard hitting SS who can contribute right away on ST.
Dequin Evans/DE/UK: A JUCO transfer had 6 sacks in his 1st yr at UK. Was a monster in JUCO and could wind up starting opposite Houston.
TJ Yates/QB/UNC: Underrated passer with some decent pocket presence. Has the same grit we see in Matt. Should come as #2 on the depth right away.
Ryan Houston/FB/UNC: Ovie not getting any younger and here is his replacement. Ran for over 700 yards and 9 TDs in 2009.
Josh Jasper/K/LSU: Really we just need a young K. Very consistent K with a good leg.
I know I was offense happy in this draft but I think our D is in better shape than most people give it credit for. With this draft we could become the new greatest show on turf.
Chris Harris/CB/Kan.: Can never have too many CBs(Rex Ryan voice). Sure tackler and has good size and speed.